Chocolate and blackcurrant macarons
Set-up and preparation: approx. 50 mins
Oven cooking time: approx. 18 mins
- Finely grind the icing sugar, almonds and baking powder, a little at a time, in a food processor.
- Whip the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks, add the icing sugar, continue to whip until the mixture becomes shiny. Sprinkle over the almond mixture using a sieve and mix it in with a rubber spatula. Put the mixture into a piping bag with plain nozzle (dia. approx. 9 mm), create around 60 mounds (dia. approx. 2½ cm each) on two racks covered in baking paper. Flatten the peaks with moistened fingers.
- Cook for approx. 18 mins in a fan-assisted oven preheated to 130 °C. Remove, leave to cool, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.
- Simmer the blackcurrants, icing sugar and water in an uncovered pan for approx. 2 mins, then sieve.
- Bring the cream to the boil, remove from the heat, add the chocolate and allow to melt, mix in the blackcurrant mixture and the butter, leave to cool. Put the mixture into a piping bag with plain nozzle (dia. approx. 9 mm). Turn over half of the macaroons, garnish with the mixture, place the remaining macaroons on top and dust with cocoa powder.